"Dame dame dame, que te voy a dar ... una guayabita de mi guayabal."

2.18.2008

Racial profiling on the NYC Subway

No foolin', ya don't say...

This article from the NY Daily News says that cops disproportionately stop and frisk Blacks and Latinos on the trains, and that train stops have gone up even though crime has gone down. This is especially true in Manhattan (of course). The piece also has a nice interative map giving statistics by transit district, and the story from a high school kid that got stopped for no reason ("I don't look like a terrorist") and some dude waiting for his girlfriend ("I was embarrassed because it was my home station," he said. "I didn't want anyone to think I had been doing something against the law or anything like that. I don't think anyone saw me, but who knows?") The readers' comments are pretty interesting in this respect too.

No comments: